Mearns Kirk Helping Hands: Volunteer Charter
Mearns Kirk Helping Hands recognises that the volunteer role compliments, but does not replace, the role of paid staff.
The volunteer role is a gift relationship, binding only in honour, trust and mutual understanding.
Volunteers can expect from us:
- We will provide you with a comprehensive induction to your volunteering role.
- We will provide you with any additional training you may require to carry out your role safely and effectively.
- We will provide ongoing support and a named person you can talk to if you have any questions or concerns.
- We will ensure you know what to do if something goes wrong.
- We will make sure you have a clear understanding of the role you will be undertaking, including the days and times you will volunteers, the tasks you will carry out and who you will report to.
- We will ensure that you are able to carry out your duties in a safe environment.
- We will actively challenge discrimination in all its forms, and encourage all volunteers to do the same.
- We will provide you with any equipment or materials you require to carry out your role (e.g. kitchen aprons).
- We will reimburse any out of pocket expenses and any mileage costs if you are using your own vehicle through the course of your volunteering.
- We will provide you with a reference should you chose to move on from volunteering with MKHH.
- We will make sure you feel welcomed, valued and part of a team by providing opportunities for all volunteers to celebrate their achievements, give ideas and suggestions to improve what we do and discuss any opportunities we may be able to support you to achieve which are relevant to your volunteering development.
We expect of volunteers:
- That you carry out your duties in line with MKHH Policies and Procedures, which will be clearly explained to you as part of your induction.
- That you carry out any tasks in a way which reflects the aims and values of MKHH.
- That you undertake any training we provide which is identified as required to allow you to carry out your duties safely and effectively.
- That you be on time to carry out your role and will let us know as soon as possible if you will not be able to attend or will be late on a particular day so that cover can be found.
- That you work as part of a team, valuing your fellow volunteers and their contributions and respecting the individual contributions each person makes to the successful running of our activities.
- That you claim any out of pocket or mileage expenses appropriately, providing any relevant receipts.
- That you let either the Group Leader or Project Manager know as soon as possible if you have any questions or concerns about your volunteering role. You will also be prepared to give suggestions and feedback in a positive, constructive manner to allow the best possible outcomes for the work of MKHH.
Updated: Vicky Attwood, 12/10/2018